- also called atypical n(a)evus or dysplastic n(a)evus
- is a benign growth that may share some of the clinical or microscopic features of melanoma, but is not a melanoma or any other form of cancer
- however, the presence of atypical nevi (plural of nevus) may increase the risk of developing a melanoma, or be a marker for someone who is at risk of developing melanoma.
- this increased risk varies from very small for those with a single atypical nevus to higher for those with many
- Click here for further information and for a printable brochure about Atypical Moles