Doctors at Ballina
MBBS(Qld), BA(Qld), MFamMed(Clin)(Monash), DipPracDerm(Cardiff), ACCAM (Monash), FRACGP, FSCCA.
Dr Keir has had a strong interest in skin cancer for many years and has been practising skin cancer medicine exclusively for over 14 years.
Having had several skin cancers himself at an early age, Dr Keir completed a Masters in Family Medicine from Monash University, concentrating on Dermatology and has a Diploma in Practical Dermatology (Distinction) from Cardiff University, Wales, where he is now a Tutor for their Dermoscopy Course, Postgraduate Dermatology Society and Diploma in Dermatology Course. He holds a Fellowship of the Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand (Peter Bourne Prize), a Certificate in Skin Cancer Medicine (High Distinction) from the Skin Cancer Society of Australia, and is a past Lecturer for the University of Queensland postgraduate skin cancer course.
He is a member of the Australia and New Zealand Melanoma Trials Group, the International Dermoscopy Society and is a Section Editor for the journal Dermatology: Practical and Conceptual. He has presented at the 7th World Melanoma Congress in Austria 2009 and numerous other meetings, and is the past Chair of the Research Committee of the Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand. He was an invited speaker on Lentiginous Melanomas and Skin Cancer Surgery for the 2010 Australian Skin Cancer Conference, an invited speaker on Early Melanoma Detection for the 2010 North Coast Cancer Conference, invited speaker for the 2014 Australasian Skin Cancer Congress and is a regular teacher for North Coast GP Training on skin cancer diagnosis and surgery.
He is the immediate past Chair of the SCCA Educational Blog, the coordinator of the SCCA Certificate in Dermoscopy Workshops and has been coordinator for the Australasian Dermatoscopy Masterclasses in 2013 and 2014. In 2015 he was an invited speaker and session chairman at the World Dermoscopy Congress in Vienna and the Australasian Skin Cancer Congress and is an invited speaker for the Global Controversies in Skin Cancer meeting in Brisbane in late 2015.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Queensland 1984
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Queensland 1989
- Certificate in Early Management of Severe Trauma, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 1991, 1994, 1996
- Diving Medicine Examiner Course, South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society 1996
- Australian Certificate in Civil Aviation Medicine, Monash University 1999
- Fellowship, Royal Australian College of General Practice 1999
- Master of Family Medicine (Clinical), Monash University 2000
- Diploma in Practical Dermatology (with High Distinction), Cardiff University 2005
- Certificate in Skin Cancer Medicine (with Distinction), Australian Skin Cancer Society 2006
- Certificate in Advanced Skin Cancer Surgery, Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand 2008
- Dermoscopy Master Class, Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand 2008
- Fellowship (Peter Bourne Prize for highest-scoring exam candidate), Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand 2009
- 1989 Clinical Tutor, Department of Anatomy, University of Queensland
- 2006 Lecturer, Master of Medicine (Primary Care Skin Cancer), School of Medicine, University of Queensland (co-author of subject material)
- 2006-2012 Honorary Tutor (Dermatology, Skin Cancer and Dermoscopy), Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Wales, UK
- 2006-2012 Trainer (Skin Cancer Diagnosis and Skin Surgery) for General Practice Registrars, North Coast GP Training, Ballina, NSW Australia
- 2008-2009 Lecturer (Skin Flap Surgery) Certificate in Advanced Skin Cancer Surgery, Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand, Brisbane Australia
- 2009 Tutor/Assistant, Certificate in Skin Surgery, Certificate in Skin Cancer Surgery, HealthCert/University of Queensland, Brisbane Qld Australia
- 2011 Lecturer, Dermoscopy Masterclass. Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand, Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Lecturer, Introductory Surgical Workshop. Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand, Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Lecturer, Advanced Surgical Workshop. Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand, Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Workshop Coordinator, Dermatology Workshop, Northern Rivers GP Network, Lismore NSW, Australia
- 2012 Course coordinator & Lecturer, Dermoscopy Certificate Workshops, Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Cairns Australia.
- 2007-2012 Co-editor, Skin Cancer Blog, Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand
- 1991 Water Sports Emergencies; Indonesian Association for Emergency Medicine; Bali, Indonesia.
- 1997 Mass Evacuation of Burns Cases from a Remote Location in Papua New Guinea; Military Medicine/ Australasian Trauma Society; Brisbane Australia
- 1997 Remote Area Emergency Evacuation, St Johns Ambulance Brigade “Remote Area First Aid” conference; Brisbane, Australia
- 2009 Melanoma Diagnosis and Treatment Performance Indicators in a Primary Care Skin Cancer Clinic – A Pilot Study; 7th World Melanoma Congress; Vienna, Austria
- 2010 Early Diagnosis of Melanoma; North Coast Cancer Conference; Ballina, Australia
- 2010 Dermoscopy of Lentiginous Melanoma; Australian Skin Cancer Conference; Gold Coast, Australia
- 2011 Cutting Edge Dermatoscopy. SCCANZ Dermoscopy Masterclass. Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Lentiginous Melanoma. SCCANZ Dermoscopy Masterclass. Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Basic suturing techniques. SCCANZ Introductory Surgical Workshop. Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Introduction to Flap surgery. SCCANZ Advanced Surgical Workshop. Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Surgery of the Ear. SCCANZ Advanced Surgical Workshop. Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2011 Serial Dermatoscopic Monitoring and Melanoma Breslow Thickness in a Primary Care Skin Cancer Clinic – a Pilot Study. Abstracts from the SCCANZ Skin Cancer Conference, June 3-5, 2011, Gold Coast, Australia. Dermatol Pract Concept 2011;1(suppl ):19.
- 2011 A Medicolegal Minefield – Panel Discussion. SCCANZ Skin Cancer Conference, Gold Coast Qld, Australia
- 2012 Sebaceous Carcinoma – Case report and literature review. SCCANZ Summer Symposium, Broadbeach Qld, Australia
Memberships and Appointments
- Member, Skin Cancer College of Australian and New Zealand
- Member, Australian Medical Association
- Member, Royal Australian College of General Practice
- Member, International Dermoscopy Society
- Member, Australia and New Zealand Melanoma Trials Group
- Member, Melanoma Network, NSW
- Member, Primary Care Collaborative Cancer Clinical Trials Group
- Expert Panelist, Health Care Complaints Committee, NSW
- Past Board Member, Northern Rivers GP Network
- Past Member, Standards Committee, Skin Cancer Society of Australia
- Past Chair, Research Committee, Skin Cancer College of Australia and New Zealand
- Secretary, Skin Cancer College Of Australia and New Zealand
- Keir J. Diagnosing skin cancer in primary care: how do main-stream general practitioners compare with primary care skin cancer clinic doctors? [letter] Med J Aust 2008; 188 (2): 125-126.
- Keir J. Dermoscopy: why should we do it? Skin Voice Newsletter, Dept Dermatology, Cardiff University. Summer 2008: 2-3.
- Rosendahl C, Hansen C, Cameron A, Bourne P, Wilson T, Cook B, Baker M, Keir J, Dicker T, Reid M, Williamson R, Weedon D, Soyer HP, Youl PH, Wilkinson D. Measuring performance in skin cancer practice: the SCARD initiative. Int J Dermatol. 2011 Jan;50(1):44-51
- Zalaudek I, Giacomel J, Schmid K, Bondino S, Rosendahl C, Cavicchini S, Tourlaki A, Gasparini S, Bourne P, Keir J, Kittler H, Eibenschutz L, Catricalà C, Argenziano G. Dermatoscopy of facial actinic keratosis, intraepidermal carcinoma, and invasive squamous cell carcinoma: a progression model. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 Apr;66(4):589-97. Epub 2011 Aug 11.
- Stanganelli I, Argenziano G, Sera F, Blum A, Ozdemir F, Karaarslan IK, Piccolo D, Peris K, Kirchesch H, Bono R, Pizzichetta MA, Gasparini S, Braun RP, Correira O, Thomas L, Zaballos P, Puig S, Malvehy J, Scalvenzi M, Rabinovitz H, Bergamo A, Pellacani G, Longo C, Pavlovic M, Rosendahl C, Hofmann-Wellenhof R, Cabo H, Marghoob AA, Langford D, Astorino S, Manganoni AM, Gourhant JY, Keir J, Grichnik JM, Fumo G, Dong H, Sortino Rachou AM, Ferrara G, Zalaudek I. Dermoscopy of scalp tumours: a multi-centre study conducted by the international dermoscopy society. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2011 Jul 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Keir J. Introduction to Dermatology in Primary Care [editorial]. Dermatol Pract Concept 2011;1(1):15
- Rosendahl C, Williams G, Eley D, Wilson T, Canning G, Keir J, McColl I, Wilkinson D. The impact of subspecialization and dermatoscopy use on accuracy of melanoma diagnosis among primary care doctors in Australia. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 Feb 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bourne P, Rosendahl C, Keir J, Cameron A. BLINCK – a diagnostic algorithm for skin cancer diagnosis combining clinical features with dermatoscopy findings. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2012; 2 (2):12
B Med, B BiomedSci, FRACGP, Dip Derm
Dip SkinCanMedSurg (SCCA), Dip Dermoscopy (SCCA)
Dr Hicks joined the Northern Rivers Skin Cancer Clinic in January 2015.
Trained in General Practice, Dr Hicks has completed advanced training in skin cancer medicine diagnosis and treatment and has been awarded the Diploma of Dermoscopy and the Diploma of Skin Cancer Medicine and Surgery, from the Skin Cancer College of Australasia. He has also attained a Diploma in Dermatology from the Australian Institute of Dermatology. He has been the main primary care skin cancer doctor in a large group practice in Newcastle, as well as performing hospital surgical assisting duties.
He is committed to high levels of care in skin cancer medicine and surgery and is in the process of attaining Fellowship of the SCCA.